163 City Rd
London EC1V 1NR
Google map and directions
Join us as part of International Women’s Day, for a day of talks, discussions and pledges for positive action that celebrate and advance women in all walks of life
Saturday 5th March, 2016
11.30am - 5.00pm
Doors open 10.30am - drinks and discussion after last panel session until 6pm
The Brew Eagle House, 163 City Road, London, EC1V 1NR
A day of inspirational talks from a carefully selected group of women who have succeeded in their field, are championing women's rights, highlighting important and damaging issues and generally being fantastic in their pursuit of advancing women's profile and progress in all parts of life.
With International Women's Day coming up on Tuesday 8th March, join us in a celebration of woman kind. The day aims to not only highlight important issues, but you'll come away with practical tips, advice and a new found purpose in how we can all help to overcome these challenges.
What's more, we hope that you will end the day feeling more energised to participate and work more on the projects and causes you care about.
10.30am - Doors Open - Coffee and snacks available to purchase whilst networking, discussing women's issues and meeting fellow fantastic women from Hackney and beyond.
11.30am – How can women more effectively impacting on issues affecting on the environment
- Jess Gold, Member of the Board of Trustees, Friends of the Earth
- Carine Guenand, Design Manager, Skanska and Head of Sustainability, The National Association of Women in Construction
12.10pm –Everyday sexism: how you can combat the stereotypes help reverse distorted body image attitudes amongst women
- Ruth Rogers, Founder, Body Gossip
12.50pm - LUNCH
1.30pm - Gender Budgeting: Challenging the effects national and local budget policy making has on women
- Emeritus Professor Ruth Pearson, Leeds University and Management Committee Member, Women's Budget Group
- Meg Hillier, MP for Hackney South and Shoreditch
2.30pm - Understanding the difficulties facing women around the world. What solutions can we in London put in place to help
- Diane Abbott, Member of Parliament for Hackney North
- Carron Mann, Policy Manager, Women for Women International
3.15pm – COFFEE BREAK
3.30pm - Progression in the workplace: developing the approach and confidence to succeed in your job or in launching a new business
- Dawn Bonfield, Chief Executive, Women's Engineering Society
- Susan Ma, Founder, Women Worldwide
- Sarah Guise, Head of Equalities and Diversity, University College London
4.15pm - Being in the public life: women share their experience and explain how you too can influence our national and local bodies and charities
- Lesley-Anne Alexander, Chief Executive, Royal National Institute for Blind People
- Dinah Nichols, Chair of Trustees, Keep Britain Tidy
- Councillor Sophie Linden, Deputy Mayor, London Borough of Hackney
5.00pm – Drinks, discussion and networking
6.00pm - Event closes
Thank you to the wonderful women who will be sharing their experiences, top tips, advice and insight! More details about the speakers here!
ABOUT THE VENUE
The Brew Eagle House is an affordable workspace for small businesses and entrepreneurs right in the heart of Shoreditch. It is the fifth instalment in The Brew network, and it is a beaut! Set within an old Art Deco former dance hall, The Brew Eagle House retains some of the building's orginal features with exposed brick walls and raw, distressed style that showcases the character of the space.
The Brew Eagle House also has an onsite cafe, the Coffice (cafe you can work in) which operates as a free membership workspace and small business hub with superfast broadband. For this event, the Coffice will be open 9am-6pm serving coffees, teas, snacks and lunch from 12pm-3pm.
The Brew has kindly sponsored this event by giving its venue for free in support of International Women's Day.